The Constant Storm of Controversy & Chaos
By Adam Carter --- May 31st, 2017 (Updated: June 5th, 2017)
Yes, the conflicting narratives and chaos has escalated and speculation is flying across social media on the subject of Guccifer 2.0 yet again.
All I can say is, for every claim and assertion that gets thrown your way, always try to give consideration to whether it's:
- justified with citations and references to primary sources where available or independently verifiable in any way beyond taking a reporter at their word.
- from a source that seems to change its story when challenged on the authenticity of its claims.
- based on speculation and interpretation or through demonstration.
- a distraction, misdirection, undue conflation of events/entities, misinterpretation, etc.
Increasingly, I'm getting asked about opinions on various topics.
My opinions, for whatever they're worth, on the most frequent topics right now:
- Kim Dotcom - A fair amount of speculation surrounds Kim, who is of course no stranger to self-promotion. He may have something significant, he may be trying to use whatever he knows as a bargaining chip for public support for his own objectives. I'm skeptical but not dismissing the possibility and that's why I'm taking the position of waiting and seeing what arises.
- Seth Rich - Not my area of research except for where Guccifer2.0 is alleged to have cited his name in DMs that Robbin Young released. My opinions about the Seth Rich case are not as well informed as those of others so that's all I'll really say on the topic for now. I'm not letting myself get caught up in that too much as it deviates from what I've been investigating.
- CrowdStrike & "Panda" References - For those thinking CrowdStrike are referring to Seth, please note that CrowdStrike gained notoriety for outing a hacking group called 'Putter Panda' that was linked to China, their referencing of "bears" and "pandas" are just references to Russian and Chinese hackers.
- Robbin Young - Some are saying the latest DM screen captures vindicate Robbin and prove the conversation was authentic. I would caution against accepting this premise simply on the emergence of new images. The facts are that Robbin released screen capture images that were either from old software (where the anomaly we see can no longer be replicated) or they were altered/manufactured - they were NOT "cropped", they were anomalous (and the originals are available for review here). They were also anomalous in a way that can be seen in the HelloFLA DMs - which is an interesting correlation in itself. There is also the fact that Robbin, after doubts were raised, claimed the DMs between her and Guccifer 2.0 were mysteriously deleted, only to claim they mysteriously appeared days later allowing her to produce revised screencaps she describes as "uncropped" for some reason!? I can't help but remain skeptical of this due to the circumstances, sequence of events and the choice of adjective used for describing the new screencaps, which seems to be retroactively misleading in relation to the original, anomalous images.
- George Webb -
I think Webb may be spreading himself too thin across numerous topics. I've seen many that follow him mixing things up (not due to Webb necessarily but due to the breadth of topics covered and the fact that different pieces of information are coming from Webb in a sequence that jumps back and forth across timelines, etc. which I think may be leading some viewers to be confused) and I've known some openly admit they're getting a bit lost and feel he's gone off on too many tangents.
UPDATE: I didn't have a strong opinion a few days ago, to some extent I was avoiding having one on purpose due to a disinclination towards arguing over narratives, etc. However, seeing as people are waking up and some may still be on the fence.
- DCCC Docs / HelloFLA / Aaron Nevins - It's interesting to see this story (originally from December and just reintroduced with Aaron Nevins & GOP identity attached) resurrected and reinforced asynchronously and multilaterally across the mainstream press at a time most of Guccifer 2.0's other released documents have been shown to be low value, inconsequential or outdated (and I'm not alone in noticing the asychronicity of the recent effort). Of course, the DCCC documents, etc, are no exception either. Guccifer 2.0 and Aaron Nevins may state that the voter turnout model is worth millions but ask yourself, is it really? - Most of the data is data that is available to both parties and calculating targets in demographic groups isn't exactly rocket science. It's likely the GOP already had all the same data and the capacity to generate the same figures quite easily. I'd value the model in thousands, not millions as is being suggested in many MSM articles right now. This also overlooks the fact that this information would be infinitely more useful to congressional campaigns than it would be to General Election candidates and their campaigns.
(I've reached out to @helloflanews to inquire about the anomalies in their screen captures too but have had nothing back yet!)
- Wikileaks & Julian Assange - There's a lot of noise currently detracting from what's actually important on the subject of Wikileaks, which is that Sweden has ceased its part in the persecution of Assange, and that the UK should accept that under international law seeking asylum serves as an overriding circumstance for his non-surrender to an arrest warrant served on him twelve days after he claimed asylum and cancel that warrant, which it hasn’t done yet, and that would essentially result in him being free.
Update: Above section corrected, originally stated "nine days after he claimed asylum", it was actually twelve days.